This writing goes in detail about the differences in languages and even the alternate languages that deviate from Spanish. What shocked me, but not necessarily surprise me, was when Gloria recalled a time in which she was younger and was physically harmed due to the fact that she was simply speaking another language. My whole life I found significance and artistry when it came to dominating many languages. One of my side goals in life is to be proficient in using all the Romance Languages and even some other ones I find interesting like Arabic and Japanese. I value the differences among cultures because I believe that they all have a world to offer in terms of perspective. Seeing how people would harm others for speaking another language really shows me the evil in humans. This need to be superior when in reality it offers nothing other than ignorance. Being prideful can be good, but having an unhealthy patriotic view can bring out the worst in people.
Another piece that I enjoyed reading about are the many versions of the same language. Dominicans utilize so many slang words that our Spanish is almost a language of its own. Instead of calling cereal "cereal," we call it "confle" because of the Corn Flakes brand. That is just one of many examples. Being raised in the United States also made me adopt a form of Spanglish that I primarily speak with my cousins. When I saw the list of languages that she speaks made me realize that I'm more than just bilingual. It shows the power of language and how it connects people through experiences.
No comments:
Post a Comment